Not for the faint of heart but this will definitely melt your heart!
2 sticks butter
12 ounces dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate bar
2 ½ cups brown sugar (or sugar of your choice like date sugar.)
7 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (or use nut flour to make gluten free!)
1 teaspoon Salt
2 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Coat 9 X 12” pan with nonstick spray, butter or oil.
- Melt butter & choc together over medium-low heat, remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, whisk in eggs, then vanilla, flour and salt. Stir in nuts.
- Bake until top is crisp and toothpick comes out w/ wet crumbs attached, approx 45 minutes.
- Let rest 15-20 minutes. Scoop into bowls and top with some of cherry cream and a whole cherry.
For Cherry Cream:
1 pint fresh cherries
1 ½ cups whipping cream
2/3 cup powdered sugar (less if using sweet cherries)
½ cup sour cream
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill a stainless mixing bowl and the beaters from a handheld mixer (set in refrigerator or freezer for 15-20 min.)
- Prepare cherries: remove stems, wash, halve and remove pit. Cut each half in half again (so that each cherry is quartered.) Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Whip cream with a mixer until stiffened, beat in sugar, sour cream, vanilla and any juice from cherry bowl. Stir in cherries. Can be made several hours ahead. Cover and keep chilled.